Dragon NaturallySpeaking Release 11 System Recommendations
These are little changed from the Release 10 recommendations. Release 11 uses more RAM than Release 10.
By far the most important system aspects to consider are the CPU speed and the RAM. The other requirements are satisfied on almost all recent systems, except that some don't have DVD drives. We have installed these products on many systems without DVD's by using either USB drives or network drives for the installations.
- RAM: minimum 1 GB for Windows XP and Windows Vista, and 2 GB for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2003/2008. We recommend at least 2 GB RAM for Windows XP and Windows Vista 32-bit. We recommend at least 3GB for Windows 7 32-bit systems though 2GB will work in many situations. We recommend at least 4 GB for Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows 7 64-bit and Windows Server 2003/2008 64-bit. If buying a 64-bit system, Softnet Systems suggests that 6GB or more may make your system run faster.
- CPU: minimum 1 GHz Intel® Pentium® or equivalent AMD processor or 1.66 GHz Intel® Atom® processor. Nuance recommends at least 1.8 GHz Intel Dual Core or equivalent AMD processor. Softnet Systems recommends at least a 2.5GHz Intel Dual Core or equivalent for best results for professional dictation. Slower systems will be.... slower!
- (IMPORTANT: SSE2 instruction set required) As a practical matter, that is a non-issue on any system that is less than 3 years old.
- Processor Cache: minimum 512 KB, Nuance recommends 2MB
These other requirements should be verified but are typically included with systems.
- Free hard disk space: 2.5 GB (3.2 GB for localized non-English versions)
- Supported Operating Systems:
- Microsoft Windows 7, 32-bit and 64-bit. If you are buying a system that you may wish to use remotely, we advise getting Windows 7 Ultimate or (if in a larger, licensed environment) Windows 7 Enterprise so that the RDP capability new to Release 11.5 can be used.
- Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 and SP2, 32-bit and 64-bit. If buying a new system, choose Windows 7 over Windows Vista.
- Microsoft Windows XP SP2 and SP3, 32-bit only
- Windows Server 2003 and 2008, SP1, SP2 and R2, 32-bit and 64-bit. If remote access is an issue, then Windows Server 2008 SP2 or later is strongly advised.
- Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 6 or higher (free download available at www.microsoft.com) Softnet Systems highly recommends Internet Explorer 8 or Internet Explorer 9 over Internet Explorer 6 or 7 for security reasons.
- Creative® Labs Sound Blaster® 16 or equivalent sound card supporting 16-bit recording If using a USB microphone, the USB audio adapter is the sound card. As a practical matter, all systems sold today meet these requirements.
- DVD-ROM drive required for installation
- Nuance-approved noise-canceling headset microphone (included in purchase) or equivalent. Microphones mentioned on this site meet these specs whether or not they appear on the Nuance-approved list. See details at support.nuance.com/compatibility/(includes Bluetooth microphones, recorders, and Tablet PCs).
- Note: An internet connection is required for product activation (a quick anonymous process), though the connection need not be on the system where Dragon is loaded.
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 does not support dictation directly into Electronic Medical Record (EMR) Systems. For EMR support, please use Dragon Medical. This is enforced for many EMR's.